Picture Gallery

Check out all the photos from our trip here

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

We may have found paradise (Girona to Lloret de Mar - 52km)

Tuesday, November 2

Quote of the day: "I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum…I began to feel that myself plus the bicycle equaled myself plus the world, upon whose spinning wheel we must all earn to ride, or fall into the sluiceways of oblivion and despair. That which made me succeed with the bicycle was precisely what had gained me a measure of success in life -- it was the hardihood of spirit that led me to begin, the persistence of will that held me to my task, and the patience that was willing to begin again when the last stroke had failed. And so I found high moral uses in the bicycle and can commend it as a teacher without pulpit or creed." --- Frances E. Willard, How I Learned To Ride The Bicycle, 1895

Hi all, It's McKayla checking in. I've finally fully recovered from my sick spell, just in time to take full advantage of this unbelievably perfect weather here on the Spanish coast. This afternoon we reached the touristy beach town of Lloret de Mar where we checked in at a resortesque hotel complete with pool, hot tub, sauna, ocean views from our balcony, and a free buffet breakfast. We can't believe it's cheaper than most hostels (only 17 euro/person). I'm not sure if we actually found "nirvana on wheels" in Girona (check out NYT article, http://travel.nytimes.com/2005/06/12/travel/12girona.html?_r=1), but I'm certain we've found a little slice of paradise here in sunny Lloret.

Fresh, smooth pavement lined the roads from Girona to the coast. We cruised through two minor mountain passes on a winding, lightly trafficked route. We all agreed this was one of the all around best roads we've cycled on so far. I can understand why so many pro cyclists, including Lance Armstrong and Tyler Hamilton, live and train in Girona during the off season.The warm Mediterranean air has certainly made riding even more enjoyable. I still can't believe I was biking beside snow patches just last week.

I've loved noticing the slight changes in scenery as we've been slowly moving south - new mountains, rocks, trees, birds, architecture, not to mention the larger changes in language and culture. It's challenging completing even simple tasks, like paying for food at a grocery store, when I can hardly speak a word of Spanish (I'm so thankful Amie is practically fluent). I'm now beginning to better appreciate the amount of French I can speak. In France, I was often frustrated that I couldn't convey everything I wanted, but now I'm realizing that I really could accomplish quite a bit using only my mediocre French. I think I'll have to start being more creative, using other means of communication, to get my point across these last few weeks in Spain.

This afternoon we finally got back into routine by doing a pool deck abs workout...our favorite :) We went swimming in the chilly pool, but quickly opted for the warmer indoor hot tub (which was disappointingly more of a warm tub). The sauna was too packed, so we decided to just take showers back in our room...I know, we have it so rough. We cooked a scrumptiously satisfying one pot meal full of veggies, beans, corn, and veggie burger. I'm not sure what you would call it, besides mush, but we all thought it was "the best thing ever." I guess we don't have very high standards.

Plan for Wednesday: Spend the day/night in Lloret. Do an insanity workout, go to the beach, and explore the town. We will bike to Barcelona on Thursday!

Good news: I'm posting new pictures later today. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Your slice of paradise in sunny Lloret sounds fabulous! Your evocative writing makes it easy for me to picture you moving into an entirely new environment: enjoy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Mush" - hmm, sounds like what I taught you to cook best, McKayla. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete