Friday, October 22
Quote du jour: "Bicycles have no walls." -- Paul Cornish
I've made it to Grenoble...and I'm ready for bed. If my sentences don't make much sense, it's because I can barely keep my eyes open. I arrived at the hostel just before dark (7:15), and now I'm sitting on a comfy leather couch, elevating my lactic acid filled legs on a chair, while I wait to order my dinner in the hostel bar/restaurant.
My ride was once again incredibly scenic. I really could not believe my eyes most of the time. Looking out at the alps never gets old. I had some route variety today as I used both strict cycling paths as well as secondary driving roads. It took me until 1pm to reach Chambery where I ate lunch in a sunny outdoor plaza. Afterwards, I stopped by the tourism office to see if they knew of the best cycling route to Grenoble. I learned about the "voie verte," or green lanes for biking that are located throughout the region. I attained a biking map, and easily navigated my way out of town to the bike route "Avenue Verte Sud." So many recreational riders were taking advantage of the beautiful weather today! Everyone was so friendly and helpful, saying, "bonjour, ca va?" as they passed. I got a bit lost at one point, and a rider stopped and gave me detailed directions. We talked in French for a few minutes, and he said he had visited New York and Bangor, ME.
I struggled to find the cyclable route into Grenoble (the city is HUGE), but I eventually made my way into the centre ville via a riverside bike trail. I loved the feel of riding on paths with tons of joggers and bike commuters. I felt like I fit right into this sporty city. I repeatedly checked the city maps at bus stops to make sure I was heading in the right direction of my hostel, and after what seemed like eternity, I found it!
I'm about to research my options for tomorrow. I'm thinking about either riding to Lyon, or staying in the Grenoble area to do a mountain pass loop.
With "voie verte" you've given me another reason to love this region! BTW, Chambery was where we were going to hike before Granddad hurt his ankle. I bow down before your lactic acid filled legs in utter awe of what you continue to accomplish as you push yourself to the limits during this journey and, at the same time, manage to appreciate the beauty surrounding you. Thank you for writing even when you're exhausted as it's so great to follow you (at least in this virtual way). Love & kisses from Lutry, xoxo
ReplyDeleteWAY TO GO MCKAYLA---I WAS HOPING THAT YOU'D HAVE GREAT WEATHER---& THE WIND WOULD STAY TO YOUR BACK---KEEP UP THE GREAT BIKING! GD
ReplyDeleteThanks Grandma and Granddad, I'm about to head to Alpes d'Huez! I'll report back tonight!
ReplyDeleteYay Chayl!! I admire you!
ReplyDelete<3 Erin